Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Political (In)Correctness(?)(rerun)


We live in a world where we have to be very aware of what we say and how we say. People today gets offended with an easiness that scares me. When I was traveling to the Scotland Highlands, I visited a small village in the Caledonia Canal, where Loch Ness and Loch Lomond, if I remember correctly, are connected. 
The guy who were talking about highlander culture, a nice old chap, asked where I was from. When I told i was from Brazil, he asked if I deal drugs. 

What I did? 

I laughed as well as everybody there and said no. The guy wasn't trying to offend me or dismiss me. He tried to be funny. I couldn't blame him. Many foreigners have this kind of vision of my country, and they aren't entirely incorrect. My sister, who lives in London, get angry. She is in the UK for ten years now and it is a full citizen. She told me that the guy had no right, even as a joke, to say what he said. 

I don't see like that. I think that it was not his fault, neither was done with maliciousness, but more of disinformation. Better yet, more of a real information that is just a small part of what Brazilians are. Yes, we have too much drug dealers and too much problems with them, but that is just part of my country. As it is the Carnaval, samba, beachs, bikinis, forests and natives. My country is way more than those things. 

But I didn't get angry. Because getting angry would not change the situation. Creating a fight would not make the Scotch guy understand my country any better. And that is part of the problem with the political correctness we live in. 

It is not done in a way to teach and make people closer, but as a war between the offenders and the offended. When was the last time you see a good comedy? It was political correct or incorrect? The incorrect ones tends to be way better to me, since they see more honest, less worried about whom would be offended. 

Everything seems to be racist, sexist, intolerant and harmful today. In the name of the 'correctness', we are becoming a bunch of false people, who will not say anything that wasn't carefully thought beforehand. And that is even worse, as we start resenting the other people for being 'easily' offended for the most 'harmless' comments. 

What I am trying to say is not that we can't be offended or fight against prejudices and such. But before getting in arms to 'fight the oppressor/offender' we must ask us: It was his/her/it intention to offend? Instead of fighting, can we talk with the other side and show our point? 

Think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment.

Followers